Last night Cherie and I were at a reception in the Governor’s mansion in Richmond. Forty-eight hours earlier I’d been out in a pasture, wearing a headlamp, pushing a prolapsed pigs insides back to where they belong. I’m pretty sure I was the only person there would could say that.
It was the first time I’ve worn a tie since my last improbable invitation to the Capitol.
The reception was to announce the creation of a task force whose objective will be to “bridge the nutritional divide” in Virginia. Specific objectives (taken from the press release) include :
· Improve food distribution systems to better serve a diversifying Virginia agricultural economy
· Improve accessibility to farmers’ markets
· Increase acceptance of SNAP/Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) and WIC/EBT at farmers’ markets
· Encourage the development of innovative and sustainable retail models to provide access to healthy foods in areas classified as food deserts
· Increase farm-to-school and other farm-to-institution programs
We’re hoping this project is a smashing success.